Re: General GNUStep future develoment question

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: General GNUStep future develoment question
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 16:54:47 -0700

Please don't reply-to a message in a current thread and simply change the subject line. This breaks proper threading, because it retains the message-ID, and means fewer people will see your message than if you'd composed an e-mail to the gnustep-dev mailing list by clicking "new" in your mail client.

As for the response, see below.

cm wrote:
Hello all,

   Cocoa is based on an open standard named OPENSTEP,
and GNUStep has reimplemented this specification, this
is clearly legal. Are other framework or API's from
Apple also candidate for inclusion in GNUstep. For
instance is it legally possible to rewrite a Searchkit
or maybe CoreImage API for GNUstep ?

Generally my question is : are other API than Cocoa
legally clonable for gnustep, or are we tied to ever
only have cocoa compatibility.

It would be legal, but it's outside the scope of the GNUstep project, and hence will probably never be done. GNUstep doesn't exist to reimplement every whizbang Apple API. Read the mission objectives at http://www.gnustep.org/information/mission.html for a more detailed explanation.