Re: Glib runloop

From: Banlu Kemiyatorn
Subject: Re: Glib runloop
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 23:22:20 +0700

On 4/17/05, Helge Hess <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi

> > Has anyone tried to unify Glib runloop and NSRunLoop?
>
> Well, yes, I did for GTKKit:
>
>    http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/1999-March/msg00158.html
>
> but 1999 is quite a while ago ;-)

Yeh hehe, I was reading the mail but was wondering how glib has been
progressing so far.

> > Does this mean to reimplement NSRunLoop entirely?
>
> I think not necessarily, but it might be the easiest approach. I
> suppose a lot of things have changed in glib since 1999, so it might be
> rather easy to wrap the glib runloop as an NSRunLoop object.
>
> Personally I would be quite interested in such a work.

I'm looking for time to do it. I wanted to do it because I want
to implement gdk backend for gnustep. But now I'm thinking
if it make more sense to have gdk with glib runloop in a seperated
thread and communicate between thread with dbus. A display
server implementation in seperated thread should allow self-decorated
window to be movable in case that the app part is frozen.
And gdk would make life easier on window hinting and the whole
system may be more portable to non-X platforms.