Re: Hi, I'm back

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Hi, I'm back
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 22:50:27 +0200

David Lázaro Saz wrote:
I'm back. After five odd years away from GNUstep development I can return contributing again. My circumstances have changed a lot, obviously, from the beginnings of 2000. I'm older and all that. I've been a professional developer all this years, mainly in commercial/proprietary code bases.

Nice to have you back, you seem to have left about a month before I started with active GNUstep development. That way, we never met before. The interesting bit is that I was also involved with GNUstep development on Windows. I gave up on this in the mean time (I just don't use Windows often enought now), but am still interested in what goes on there.

I have personal goals for this porting effort that could be at odds with the current design of the GNUstep GUI library and parts of foundation so I'd like to discuss my ideas with the people that are now actively in charge of the Windows parts of the code. Drop me a message and I'll tell you what are my impressions or contact me through AIM at this e-mail address (my time zone is GMT+1, Europe/ Madrid, mind you).

Why not start off with a public discusion on this mailing list and move to private conversations when stuff gets to boring for most readers?

What is it you want to change? Just get the default colours/fonts from the theming engine? Nice idea, if we get that working without breaking stuff for older NT versions. Or are you thinking about changing the whole drawing interface once or? That is the division between gui and back? I am not sure, if I would like that idea. At least you will need some good arguments for it.

Did you also have a look into the new drawing engine code in GUI (GSDrawFunctions.m)? Currently most of us agree that this is the way to go. Move all actual drawing code there and allow applicactions or libraries to overwrite the code code.

Cheers