Re: Hi, I'm back

From: David Lázaro Saz
Subject: Re: Hi, I'm back
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 18:23:17 +0200

On 19/05/2005, at 10:36, Riccardo wrote:

Nice! it is good to get some experienced people back here.

Thanks.

Well, this is a good place to discuss public things and then we always have #gnustep on irc.freenode.org which is a nice place to chat too, although lately many "core" developers are busy or absent.

Hey, thanks for the tip.  I tend to forget that IRC is available.

Well, if you already use EO, you don't use a native widget system, but a very well done theme Although I initially disliked this approach I now appreciate it more and think this is the way to go. It won't be probably be too difficult to make a NT4 like theme and one that looks like that rubber-candy look of XP.

Certainly possible. Windows provides a theme drawing API for that support and the _classic_ look is specified completely in Microsoft Windows User Experience book.

AFAIK, the current route is to work on MiniGW and use a native backendo on GDI. This certainly is the besto route to go to achieve maximum performance and integration. It will also ease deployment of gnustep applications on windows.
EO on the other hand took originally a Cygwin approac.

I'm partial to the MinGW approach. It requires less support from the environment.

Of course no one wil stop you to "bend" existing code to your needs, but maybe you may want to have a look at what already exists and what possibly the mainstream solutions are and will be, that could help you to reuse as much as possible of the existing and future work in "official" gnustep, but also to be able to commit back most of your work and help gnustep itself.

That is my idea too. Maybe I didn't explain well myself but that was why I used _bend_ instead of, lets say, _break_.

Cheers,

David.