Re: Building in a separate directory

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Building in a separate directory
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 23:29:09 +0200

Adam Fedor wrote:

On May 26, 2005, at 12:04 PM, David Lázaro Saz wrote:

On 26/05/2005, at 1:00, Adam Fedor wrote:

It might be nice to fix autoconf, but then you'll run into make.
 'make' doesn't like spaces in directories either - and this is a
 fundamental design issue.

But doesn't make always run in the same directory?  Anyway I'm
placing this on the back burner for some time, and it's been a long
time since I read the GNU make manual.  But I think that this issue
needs to be solved someday because directories with spaces are very
common this days (Windows' "C:\Program Files", for example).

I'm now deeply immersed in cross-compiling, though. I'm also reviewing how Autoconf works and how it's applied through GNUstep.
My knowledge of Autoconf is somewhat superficial right now.  The
first problem I've detected is that the macro AC_FUNC_SETPGRP
prevents cross-compiling because it always needs to run the test
program that it constructs in order to check the signature of
setpgrp.  I haven't found how to circumvent it yet.

if test $cross_compiling = no; then AC_FUNC_SETPGRP else #set a
default value fi

I was working on that, but the default for MingW is not what the
normal default would be, but I wasn't entirely sure.

Autoconf is rather easy to work around, as long as you have the
informations on the correct settings for the traget system. Perhaps it
would even be possible to run autoconf on the target system and transfer
the results to the actual build environment?
For simple settings like AC_FNUC_SETGRP it is sufficent to set an
environment variable stating the presense/absense of the feature. Here
the settings I used to cross compile for an ARM system:

export cl_cv_c_longlong=yes
export ac_cv_func_setpgrp_void=yes
./configure --prefix=/home/zaurus/gnustep --disable-flattened  \
--host=arm-linux --build=ix86-linux  \
--libdir=/home/zaurus/gnustep/System/Library/Libraries/arm/linux-gnu \
--includedir=/home/zaurus/gnustep/System/Library/Headers/gnu-gnu-gnu \
--disable-do >

For me this looks easier than trying to guess the correct default value for all the systems and hard coding that in the .ac file.