Re: Building in a separate directory

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Building in a separate directory
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 10:04:26 -0400

On May 27, 2005, at 9:34 AM, David Lázaro Saz wrote:

On 27/05/2005, at 13:54, Nicola Pero wrote:

The make syntax uses spaces to separate filenames in list of targets or requisites, or everywhere really ... it's a basic design decision in the
make syntax.

Thanks for the explanation. This also explains why Apple developed a completely new build system for Xcode (xcodebuild). I've tried compiling a Hello World/Hello World.c in my usual (separate) build directory and everything worked.

BTW, first they moved to JAM, then they internalized JAM's code into Xcode so it's not invoked as a separate process. It's possible that JAM is able to handle spaces, though maybe Apple had to modify it for this.