Re: [Gnustep-cvs] gnustep/core/base ChangeLog Source/GSFileHandle...

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] gnustep/core/base ChangeLog Source/GSFileHandle...
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 10:09:01 +0100

On 2005-06-04 08:55:43 +0100 David Ayers <address@hidden> wrote:

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

CVSROOT:        /cvsroot/gnustep
Module name:    gnustep
Branch:
Changes by: Richard Frith-Macdonald <address@hidden> 05/06/04 05:01:01

Modified files:
core/base : ChangeLog core/base/Source: GSFileHandle.m NSFileManager.m
Log message:
        Added large file handling support.

CVSWeb URLs:
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gnustep/gnustep/core/base/ChangeLog.diff?tr1=1.2530&tr2=1.2531&r1=text&r2=text
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gnustep/gnustep/core/base/Source/GSFileHandle.m.diff?tr1=1.23&tr2=1.24&r1=text&r2=text
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gnustep/gnustep/core/base/Source/NSFileManager.m.diff?tr1=1.110&tr2=1.111&r1=text&r2=text

I haven looked closely, but I believe defining that macro to a fixed
value in GS/NSFileHandle won't work with all configuration.  I think we
may need an autoconf test and then define it in GSConfig.h

Here is a reference.

http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Feature-Test-Macros.html#Feature-Test-Macros

I hope/believe that simply defining the macro is harmless on systems that don't support it, and works on the systems which do. Nothing else is necessary on those systems where it is supported, so I don't think we need autoconf tests until we discover systems where it doesn't work, but some other large file handling mechanism does. This mechanism *should* be supported on solaris and most modern linux distributions ... but I've only tested it on debian. Of course, there are probably various systems where some sort of large file support is available, but not conforming to the standard ... and there we will need system specific code changes.