bug #13183

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: bug #13183
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 09:21:01 +0100

I don't really know how to deal with this cygwin bug ... If I use windows I use mingw rather than cygwin as I consider it by far the better way to go ... licensing means people could actually deploy proprietory GNUstep apps with mingw where they can's using cygwin, and the mingw approach of using the native api means the code can be a lot more efficient and we avoid the extra layer of code where things can go wrong.

I'm not sure any GNUstep developer uses cygwin (though several, myself included, have done so in the past)... which is probably why cygwin is tagged as 'needs testing' on the website, rather than being a fully supported platform.

Perhaps we should have another support classification meaning that a platform is unsupported (ie we won't commit to fixing anything), but that we accept bugfixs for it from anyone who wants to contribute them?

The description of the existing 'needs testing' classification says 'are not actively tested by developers and need someone to help with reporting problems and fixes' ... That might be an accurate/inmformative description for the cygwin platform, but I suspect it implies more activity on the platform than actually exists. Perhaps a more accurate description would be to say that bug reports are unlikely to be addressed unless accompanied with fixes.

Of course, I may be completely wrong, and someone may be looking into this, but if not, it's a bug report which could hang around for ages simply because it's specific tio an unsupported platform ... and that looks bad.

Any thoughts?