Re: bug #13183

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: bug #13183
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 18:54:57 +0200

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
On 2005-06-05 11:16:25 +0100 Riccardo <address@hidden> wrote:

Of course, I may be completely wrong, and someone may be looking into this, but if not, it's a bug report which could hang around for ages simply because it's specific tio an unsupported platform ... and that looks bad.

Not me sorry, my windows knowledge is = 0.0. I just wanted to give it a spin on the environment I had available and I reported the problem to share my experience, maybe there are other cygwin users out there. I could have used the environment myself and I would have tested my own programs there but every fix which touches the window guts is far beyond my knowledge. That -base doesn't even link is a bit bad.

Thus the future of gnustep on cygwin is uncertain, you may close the bug if you are concerned with it sticking around... but there are many others who hang there since ever, so I wouldn't worry.

Well, I sent the email as an attempt to see if there was someone willing to take on a formal role of supporting gnustep building under cygwin (either with unix/cygwin or windows/mingw runtime, or both), more than to say we should say we don't support it. I'd rather have someone supporting it than mark it as unsupported.

I have been using GNUstep on Cygwin from time to time as my Windows test platform. But since a few month exactly the problem that stopped Riccardo also stopped me. I will add a few more information to the bug report, that I already did send to this mailing list some time ago. If I find the time I will test, if a newer tool chain on Cygwin now supports the same build process as is now used for MinGW. But at the moment I am even stuck with my MinGW environment. After downloading the GNUstep MSys all-inclusive package, installation of that went fine. Then I downloaded the latest CVS and tried to compile that and failed for base as well as gui. Maybe I need to update Msys before using CVS? Anyway, as soon as I have that sorted out, I will try to confirm the current status of Cygwin. But similar to Richard, I am using Windows just as a test platform to confirm that stuff works for other people. I don't have any personal interest in that environment.