Re: GNUstep improvements bounty

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: GNUstep improvements bounty
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:06:53 +0200

Citát Riccardo <address@hidden>:

<snip>

> I stress my point that it is only for the time being that I would stress
> the importance of completing and stabilizing -core before adding more
> meat to the fire.
> You port your mega-app to gnustep thanks to coredata and coreimage and
> then discover it is unreliable in operation because of some bug deep in
> -core ? wouldn't you be frustrated?

This unreliable application will discover bugs that would not be discovered
without this application. How can you find and fix all bugs in gnustep? You
can:

- Invest in full GNUstep testsuite for every feature. Is that doable in a
reasonable time with reasonable number of resources? Are you able to identify
all features that sohuld be teste? Are you able to identify all cases? If not,
how you can be sure that the most important bugs are fixed? Some bugs are not
visible at first look.
- Or you can explore the code by yourself, looking at each line of code. Can
anyone do that?
- Or you can create or port bunch of applications and see what is wrong then fix
it.

The last option will "kill two flies with a single hit".

Also, I think that trying to focus on perfecting GNUstep is a waste of time.
Perfection will come together with usage and evolution(*). GNUstep already is
"perfect enough to be used". Any additional bit of "perfection" will not
attract any new user to GNUstep, nor will motivate new developers to develop
for GNUstep.

Therefore I vote for new frameworks, be them GNUstep innovations or ported
frameworks. They will move GNUstep forward, will add new value, will find new
bugs, will attract and motivate new developers. Core will be fixed, I am not
worried about that.

Stefan Urbanek

(*) - Obligatory note repeated in many of my previous and future replies: look
outside and meet the nature. It is definitely not perfect from design point of
view and it is not "bug-free", but it is good enough and nice enough to
survive. And it survives for pretty long time, does not it? ;-)
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then
you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi