Re: Looking for help profiling GNUstep programs

From: Andrew Ruder
Subject: Re: Looking for help profiling GNUstep programs
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:20:33 -0400

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
Am I doing something stupid?
Does anyone have experience with profiling share objc libraries (I'm working on debian unstable intel).

I've had a good deal of luck with oprofile (which requires a kernel component) for debugging gnustep. With a 2.6.12 kernel, a kernel patch is not required even for the callgraph support. Simply compile with debug symbols, start the oprofile daemon, run your program (in fact, you can even start oprofile daemon while the program is running, i believe, if you want to just profile a certain section). Oprofile can even output gprof compatible output.

The other choice is valgrind with the callgrind tool. I had to get callgrind from their website and compile against my own valgrind due to having some issues with the debian package for callgrind being much too old. Running your program under callgrind should not affect the actual profiling results, but your program will run insanely slowly as with any valgrind utility.

I've had a lot of luck with both, and oprofile is amazingly easy and simple to use and hardly affects the speed at which your program runs. I tried to use profile=yes a few weeks ago and ran into a lot of issues and finally gave up...

Cachegrind:
http://kcachegrind.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/show.cgi/KcacheGrindIndex

Oprofile: (Although debian + 2.6.12 kernel has all the components to fully utilize oprofile, iirc)
http://oprofile.sourceforge.net/news/

Hope that helps,
Andy

--