Re: Looking for help profiling GNUstep programs

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Looking for help profiling GNUstep programs
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:39:08 +0100

On 2005-06-30 15:20:33 +0100 Andrew Ruder <address@hidden> wrote:

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
Am I doing something stupid?
Does anyone have experience with profiling share objc libraries (I'm working on debian unstable intel).

I've had a good deal of luck with oprofile (which requires a kernel component) for debugging gnustep. With a 2.6.12 kernel, a kernel patch is not required even for the callgraph support. Simply compile with debug symbols, start the oprofile daemon, run your program (in fact, you can even start oprofile daemon while the program is running, i believe, if you want to just profile a certain section). Oprofile can even output gprof compatible output.

Thanks ... I'm already in the process of downloading the kernel packages etc to try oprofile (I don't have broadband) as it was the next thing I was going to try.
Good to hear that it works well ...

I had forgotten that callgrind existed (though I use valgrind quite often) ... so perhaps I'll look at that too.