Re: Considering Gorm 1.0.0

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Considering Gorm 1.0.0
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 22:42:28 -0400

On Jun 22, 2005, at 1:58 AM, Gregory John Casamento wrote:

All,

Please let me know if anyone has any thoughts about this. I would also like any feedback anyone has on any last minute features or bug fixes they feel
should go into the app before the 1.0 release.

Gorm has been very stable for the last few releases, so I'm considering that after the next stable release of core, that Gorm should follow this with a 1.0.

Does anyone have any comments?

I just duplicated a preferences panel I did in IB in Gorm. I was eventually able to do everything I could in IB, and it worked well, but still the experience left me with a short wishlist:

- Undo. (Biggest win would be ability to undo accidental moves of the wrong thing, like a group instead of a contained item.)

- Ability to move items forward and backward in depth. Maybe not absolutely necessary, but nice to have. Likewise, ability to group items without creating a new widget like a box or a scrollview, but just to be able to move them around as a unit.

- A set of "align" commands for lining up multiple items.

- Add the horizontal and vertical divider bars to a palette somewhere. I see these on other gorms, but I haven't found how to make one myself.

- Ability to delete items by hitting backspace or delete on the keyboard. For me, neither 'backspace' nor 'delete' does this.

- Ability to set up radio buttons. There are radio buttons displayed in the palette, but in IB when you drag you get a set of two or more bound together in an NSMatrix, which allows you to access the selection state in code. In Gorm, dragging gives just a single radio button and no matrix. I was able to copy a matrix from another .gorm file, but I could not figure out how to create one myself. Also, once I got the matrix, I could not change its layout.

- Ability to set up slider tick marks. (Actually I'm not sure whether this functionality is working or not in the NSSlider class.)

- Extra spacing in all of Gorm's own .gorms so that text isn't cut off. See screenshots, using back-art/Vera Sans on linux.

Doubtless some of these reflect more my better familiarity with IB than shortcomings in Gorm. Also, despite these items, let me hasten to mention that Gorm has seemed very solid and robust as long as I've known it, more than deserving of a 1.0 version number.

PNG image

PNG image

PNG image

PNG image