Re: Considering Gorm 1.0.0

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Considering Gorm 1.0.0
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 15:03:41 -0700 (PDT)

Adrian,

--- Adrian Robert <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Jun 22, 2005, at 1:58 AM, Gregory John Casamento wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > Please let me know if anyone has any thoughts about this.  I would
> > also like
> > any feedback anyone has on any last minute features or bug fixes they
> > feel
> > should go into the app before the 1.0 release.
> >
> > Gorm has been very stable for the last few releases, so I'm
> > considering that
> > after the next stable release of core, that Gorm should follow this
> > with a 1.0.
> >
> > Does anyone have any comments?
>
> I just duplicated a preferences panel I did in IB in Gorm.  I was
> eventually able to do everything I could in IB, and it worked well, but
> still the experience left me with a short wishlist:
>
> - Undo.  (Biggest win would be ability to undo accidental moves of the
> wrong thing, like a group instead of a contained item.)

Undo is somewhat difficult to implement for Gorm.  I am looking into this.

> - Ability to move items forward and backward in depth.  Maybe not
> absolutely necessary, but nice to have.

Done.

> Likewise, ability to group
> items without creating a new widget like a box or a scrollview, but
> just to be able to move them around as a unit.

This second part is a little harder.

> - A set of "align" commands for lining up multiple items.

Done. :)

> - Add the horizontal and vertical divider bars to a palette somewhere.
> I see these on other gorms, but I haven't found how to make one myself.

These lines are just NSBox where the title is removed and the height or width
has been reduced to 1 or 2 pixels.

> - Ability to delete items by hitting backspace or delete on the
> keyboard.  For me, neither 'backspace' nor 'delete' does this.

Looking into this. :)

> - Ability to set up radio buttons.  There are radio buttons displayed
> in the palette, but in IB when you drag you get a set of two or more
> bound together in an NSMatrix, which allows you to access the selection
> state in code.  In Gorm, dragging gives just a single radio button and
> no matrix.  I was able to copy a matrix from another .gorm file, but I
> could not figure out how to create one myself.  Also, once I got the
> matrix, I could not change its layout.

You need to use Right-Alt, or Shift-Right-Alt on some keyboards, to make this
work.

> - Ability to set up slider tick marks.  (Actually I'm not sure whether
> this functionality is working or not in the NSSlider class.)

Once the slider supports this, the Gorm inspector will be updated to allow it.

> - Extra spacing in all of Gorm's own .gorms so that text isn't cut off.
>   See screenshots, using back-art/Vera Sans on linux.

I'm working on this.

> Doubtless some of these reflect more my better familiarity with IB than
> shortcomings in Gorm.  Also, despite these items, let me hasten to
> mention that Gorm has seemed very solid and robust as long as I've
> known it, more than deserving of a 1.0 version number.

Thanks, GJC

Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A MD Corp.)
## Maintainer of Gorm (IB Equiv.) for GNUstep.