Re: SIGSEGV Errors

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: SIGSEGV Errors
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 22:29:59 -0400

On Jul 5, 2005, at 1:03 PM, address@hidden wrote:

Hello!  I'm a new poster to this list.

I'm a member of the Oolite forums at http://aegidian.org/bb, and have been trying to help with the creation of a PC version. It is being done from a port of the Mac code to a linux version, and from there to GNUstep on Windows. The code is written in Objective-C. The common platform (or at least the one
the original porter and me are using) is Windows XP Home/Pro SP2.

It uses SDL libraries for music and graphics.

When we try to compile the game to run, it generates an "Application Error (0xc0000005): the application failed to initialize" error message box from
Windows.

If the game is compiled using debug options, the error is revealled as:
"Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00aa1fc0 in malloc ()"

Perhaps it's possible to debug this program with gdb? You can try from the shell:

debugapp MyApp.app

and then when it crashes, try 'bt'

Also you can try setting some environment variables to check object allocation problems:

export NSZombieEnabled=YES