NSFileManager fileSystemRepresentationWithPath: problem starting up Win3

From: Leigh Smith
Subject: NSFileManager fileSystemRepresentationWithPath: problem starting up Win32 libgnustep-back.bundle
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 14:33:33 +0800

Compiling and installing GNUstep on a WinXP SP2 machine works pretty well, command line tools compile and run without problems.

In the past applications have built and at least run. On the most recent (CVS head) version, my app dies attempting to load the bundle:

2005-07-07 09:15:25.000 AppComms.exe[3900] Disallowed time zone name `W. Australia Standard Time'. 2005-07-07 09:15:25.000 AppComms.exe[3900] Using time zone with absolute offset 0. 2005-07-07 09:15:25.000 AppComms.exe[3900] NSApplication.m:217 Assertion failed in initialize_gnustep_backend. Can't load object file from backend at path c:/GNUstep/System/Library/Bundles/ libgnustep-back.bundle
Error (objc-load):126
c:\msys\1.0\home\leigh\Sources\FTDITest\ThummerComms.app \ThummerComms.exe: Uncaught exception NSInternalInconsistencyException, reason: NSApplication.m:217 Assertion failed in initialize_gnustep_backend. Can't load object file from backend at path c:/GNUstep/System/Library/Bundles/ libgnustep-back.bundle

The bundle is indeed at this location.

Tracing further, the problem is in NSString -fileSystemRepresentation which calls NSFileManager -fileSystemRepresentationWithPath: which is returning the string prior to ":", therefore "c:/GNUstep/System/ Library/Bundles/libgnustep-back.bundle" returns "c".

NSFileManager -fileSystemRepresentationWithPath: uses NSString cStringUsingEncoding: NSUnicodeStringEncoding if the class is compiled with __MINGW__.

What is the current policy? Should NSApplication initialize_gnustep_backend() be attempting to load "c:/GNUstep" rather than "/c/GNUstep", or should cStringUsingEncoding: properly handle DOS drive separators? I would think the latter, but I'm not clear on what the policy of managing DOS pathnames is within the GNUstep community?

--
Leigh M. Smith
address@hidden