Re: linking libgnustep-base.dll.a broken in CVS head?

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: linking libgnustep-base.dll.a broken in CVS head?
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 12:51:13 +0100 (BST)

> Ok, attempting to take Richard's advice, I attempted to update from
> the CVS repository, reconfigure core/make and core/base and then
> build. It now seems building libgnustep-base.dll.a is broken, in that
> it is now 145074 bytes long, whereas in the previous build it used to
> be approximately 600Kb.
>
> nm shared_obj/libgnustep-base.dll.a | grep NS
>
> reveals none of the base objC object files are linking into the
> library, only xslt and gnustep_base_dll_iname symbols seem to now be
> in the library?

Can you provide more info on what you are trying to do ?

Are you following the default instructions for Windows (ie,
core/make/Documentation/README.MinGW) ?  I reinstalled everything from CVS
on Windows (MinGW) yesterday (to start working on frameworks) and it all
worked perfectly well for me.  I updated the README.MinGW file with the
versions I used but there is nothing specially new.

You mention xslt ... in your link command line you have both -lxslt and
-lxml2 ... confusing as the README.MinGW doesn't mention libxslt so I must
assume you're following a different installation procedure ?  In which
case which procedure are you following ?  Which libxml2 are you using ?

I tried libxml2 / libxslt (from gnuwin32.sourceforge.net) yesterday but
the xml2-config machinery was so confusedly broken that I decided I was
wasting my time (and the time of anyone who would later try reproducing my
build process).

I suppose I could try again from libxml2 sources, that might give a
reasonably stable/reproducible building process for libxml2 ?

> Is anyone else able to build on Win32 libgnustep-base.dll.a using the
> head of the CVS tree?

Works for me :-)

... unless you're using Cygwin, then I don't know.