Re: STS Template Engine

From: Sunrise Ltd
Subject: Re: STS Template Engine
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:39:36 -0500

Markus Hitter wrote:

> "Since when are templates part of the Obj-C language and why would
> one want to add yet another layer of configurability (= code
> obscurity)?"
>
> However, when reading your description I've learned you're not
> talking about templates on code ( like C++),

Agreed, that kind of "templating" is a real kludge. C++ templating,
or Generics as it is more accurately called in some other languages is a
workaround to overcome some of the shortcomings of statically typed
languages. Objective-C certainly doesn't need such a kludge because
it's dynamically typed.

> but about _string_ templates here. So, it's something comparable
> to regex(3), NSScanner,  et al.
>
> Wanted to point that out.

Indeed, thanks.

the methods provided are ...
stringByExpandingTemplate:usingDictionary:errorsReturned:
stringByExpandingTemplate:withStartTag:andEndTag:usingDictionary:errorsReturned:
stringByExpandingTemplateAtPath:usingDictionary:encoding:errorsReturned:
stringByExpandingTemplateAtPath:withStartTag:andEndTag:usingDictionary:encoding:errorsReturned:

In a way, NSScanner does the opposite of what the STS Template Engine
does. It creates a new data set from data found in a string. The template
engine inserts data from an existing data set into a string.

thanks for the thumbs up.
regards
Sunrise

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com