[OSX to FreeBSD port] what version of gcc to use with 5.4

From: Thierry DELHAISE
Subject: [OSX to FreeBSD port] what version of gcc to use with 5.4
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:41:00 +0200

Hi the list,

I'm currently working on a daemon based on OSX Foundation (No GUI) . I use the 4.0 stock compiler provide with Tiger. I target FreeBSD 5.4 on Intel x86 (not AMD) and the GNUstep-base/make (the last 1.11.0).

My daemon use DO and NSThread heavily so I need a GNUstep base working with pthread. When building GNUstep base, I prefer using libffi from gcc in place of ffcall to minimize the number of tools packages to install/maintain : just a matter of taste ;-)

So, what version of gcc do you suggest me? Does some of U have experience ?

I must add I used in my OSX code the @synchronised feature of apple objc, and AFAIK this feature is only available in 4.x branch. I've maed test last week using the gcc40 and gcc41 (WITH_SHARED_LIBS and JAVA enable since it provide libffi build by default) from ports but for those two versions, I face out a gcc bug when trying to compile gnustep-base (for those interest #[Bug objc/22581]).

So, in the 3.x familly what version can I use to build a "production daemon" running on a "production machine" (so with stability in mind ;-) ). Since production target, I would like too to use the base stock gcc (it's a 3.4.2 20040728) but without shared lib AFAIK. Don't know too, if the stock compiler bring libobjc with pthread support : what I know is that libffi is not provide with stock compiler. (Any way to get this lib in standard FBSD system install a day ;-) : an allready posted request addressed at FreeBSD mainteners ;-) ). Does some of U hav successfully build a 3.4 on FBSD with all features provide in gcc3.3.6 (from port as a dependency of gnustep ports)

Used of 3.x familly on FreeBSD require me to patch all my code and replace all @synchronised keyword uses... Anyway !

Last but not least, some FBSD hackers using GNUstep are experiences some problems with pthread used on 5.3 with GNUstep : does some FBSD developpers using GNUstep have a GNUstep coding env working using pthread on an SMP machine, actually : I remember a test made by me 2 months ago on a 5.3p5 where a GNUstep NSThread console tools was running well on an UP machine but were crashes on an SMP one(same tools and version on the two machines). Does some of U have SMP FreeBSD 5.4 machines and run well threaded GNUstep app?

thx for advices and comments.

Thierry (aka befree)