Re: Raising GNUstep's Profile

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Raising GNUstep's Profile
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:51:15 -0600

On Aug 12, 2005, at 10:08 AM, David Chisnall wrote:

Hi,

Looking through the latest set of developer docs from Apple, I see a lot of things that say `Available on OS X 10.x or later.' It occurred to me that, once these features exist on GNUstep, it might be beneficial to release a framework that could be included with new applications to support these classes on older versions of OS X. Developers could then target the latest version of OS X, and still deploy on older ones. As an added bonus (or the main point, depending on your perspective), they would then see that their code would also run nicely on GNUstep, which would help raise awareness among Cocoa developers.

Good idea?  Unworkable idea?

Well it seems almost like a separate project, although helpful to GNUstep. But then, how is the developer going to incorporate the framework? It would have to be separate from the application and only installed if it is on an older mac version (and maybe different frameworks for each version?). Seems like a packaging nightmare. Although perhaps the app could determine the version and load the proper framework at runtime.

What we really need is someone to just document what changes have been made in each version, so we know where we stand.