Re: GNUstep Native Framework Support

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: GNUstep Native Framework Support
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 11:30:32 -0700 (PDT)

--- Sa¹o Kiselkov <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello everybody
>
> I know there have been tons of discussions and
> flames on this topic, but this
> time I have a solution for it. For details, please
> read
> http://openspace.adlerka.sk/NativeFrameworks and
> tell me your opinion: is it
> worth bothering about further, or just blow the
> whole thing in the wind. And
> please don't stone me if you don't agree with the
> details...
>
> Best regards
>  Saso

hi just took a quick glance at this document,
will look more closely later...

after my foray into hacking the dynamic linker...
i took another look at this, i haven't actually tried
this yet as i don't currently have a glibc-2.4
available

and there might be another option...

new in glibc-2.4 is LD_AUDIT support

this is only available currently as an environment
variable...

but with an audit lib and an implementation of
la_objsearch() it *seems* possible..

(i'm thinking that the frameworks link with an
extended substitution sequence, and the audit lib
turns the substitution sequence into a real search
path...)

e.g.
--Wl,-soname,"$FRAMEWORK/foo.framework/Versions/A/foo"

then la_objsearch() looks for $FRAMEWORK and replaces
it with the path found..

gnu ld last i looked doesn't support the -p and -P
options (from solaris ld) which would be nice to link
frameworks against the audit lib without forcing the
use of the LD_AUDIT variable. so only apps using
frameworks or whatever would need the audit lib and

matt