Re: xcode files in GNUstep cvs

From: nicola
Subject: Re: xcode files in GNUstep cvs
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:59:12 +0100 (BST)

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to commit xcode files, for projects buildable on OSX, into the
> GNUstep CVS? *.pbxproj is just a text file in openstep plist format. That can
> simplify adoption of GNUstep projects on OSX.

I don't see any problem in including it on CVS ... if it is useful to
people, it's a good idea to do it :-)

[obviously, the portable GNUmakefiles should always be there for
'standard' building]

The main disadvantage I see is that there is a maintenance overhead which
could back-fire!

I mean, we're giving them xcode projects to make OSX building more 'click
and build' - but if the *.pbxproj go out of sync and stop working, they
might actually start putting off people instead of encouraging them! :-(

People trying the software on OSX might try the xcode building, find it
doesn't really work, think the software doesn't work or is poorly
maintained and give up.  If we told them to follow the procedure we are
maintaining, we might have more probability of success.  :-)

So I'd recommend we only do it for projects where we will actively
maintain the xcode port. ;-)

Thanks