Errors when compiling with GCC 4.1

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Errors when compiling with GCC 4.1
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 17:47:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Getting the following error when compiling with GCC 4.1 prerelease:

GSAttributedString.m: In function cacheAttributes:
GSAttributedString.m:130: error: cast to union type from type not present in
union
GSAttributedString.m:138: error: cast to union type from type not present in
union

I have spoken with Andrew Pinski and we both believe this is not a problem with
the compiler, but a problem with the gnustep code.

The error, specifically, is that the line in question attempts to coerce a
NSDictionary into a GSIMapKey (GSUNION).  The compiler finds no matching type
in the union for the NSDictionary and fails.  I suppose that, in previous
versions of the compiler, this was matching with the NSObject which is part of
the union.   This no longer seems to be working.

Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts on whether this is
the correct assessment or how to fix the issue.

GCC 4.1 is the version of the compiler which is supposed to have a working
ObjC++ in it.  We need to be totally ready for this release. :)

Thanks, GJC

Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A MD Corp.)
## Maintainer of Gorm (IB Equiv.) for GNUstep.