Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration

From: Andrew Ruder
Subject: Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 22:59:19 -0500

On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 09:20:53PM -0600, Adam Fedor wrote:
> No, they will not do that. We could just as easily decide to make our
> project non-free and then tell everyone to delete their free copies of
> the project.  I don't think that would go over well :-)

Ah, well, I think most of the developers will catch on pretty quick ;)
We can put up some README.MOVED files in various places perhaps?

> >/libs/base/{trunk,tags,branches}
> >/libs/gui/{trunk,tags,branches}
> >/libs/Renaissance/{trunk,tags,branches}
> >/apps/Gorm/{trunk,tags,branches}
> >/apps/gworkspace/{trunk,tags,branches}
> >
> >and so on.
> >
> >We could then have something like:
> >
> >/modules/dev-apps
> >/modules/core
> >/modules/dev-libs
> >

> Sure. but I am not very familiar with svn.

Maybe someone who is familiar with svn can give a basic OK to this
layout.  Greg?

> Were will we actually be transferring this project to?
>       i.e.: Are we going to create a gnustep project on gna?
> Who will be admin and who will determine access rights?

There is a gnustep gna project already.  I'm sure Alex Perez (who has it
registered) wouldn't mind setting you up as administrator and some other
people that could give out the commit access although we'll have to ask
him.

Alex set the gnustep project up on gna due to Savannah not being able to
set up a -ui and -packagers mailing list when they were needed some time
ago.

> How will we verify that the transfer was correct?

I'm not sure what the best approach would be here.  Subversion has
repository-wide revision numbers, so it is difficult to check that
(although the original CVS revision number will be stored in the
metadata for the file).  I can run a couple diffs on various different
dates through the history (including the latest) svn vs. cvs?

- Andy

--
Andrew Ruder
http://www.aeruder.net