Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 06:50:31 -0700 (PDT)

Andy,

--- Andrew Ruder <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 09:20:53PM -0600, Adam Fedor wrote:
> > No, they will not do that. We could just as easily decide to make our
> > project non-free and then tell everyone to delete their free copies of
> > the project.  I don't think that would go over well :-)
>
> Ah, well, I think most of the developers will catch on pretty quick ;)
> We can put up some README.MOVED files in various places perhaps?

This might be a good idea.

> > >/libs/base/{trunk,tags,branches}
> > >/libs/gui/{trunk,tags,branches}
> > >/libs/Renaissance/{trunk,tags,branches}
> > >/apps/Gorm/{trunk,tags,branches}
> > >/apps/gworkspace/{trunk,tags,branches}
> > >
> > >and so on.
> > >
> > >We could then have something like:
> > >
> > >/modules/dev-apps
> > >/modules/core
> > >/modules/dev-libs
> > >

> > Sure. but I am not very familiar with svn.
>
> Maybe someone who is familiar with svn can give a basic OK to this
> layout.  Greg?

I believe, that until we come up with a plan to modularize things further, we
should leave the directory layout as it is.   The way I see it we have two
choices:

1) Take the CVS repository whole-cloth into the SVN repo and make any changes
incrementally from there.
2) Take the burden of a redesign/relayout now and put it into SVN in some new
layout.

I, personally, prefer the incremental approach as it doesn't cause too much
disruption.   Moving to SVN is disruption enought. ;)

> > Were will we actually be transferring this project to?
> >       i.e.: Are we going to create a gnustep project on gna?
> > Who will be admin and who will determine access rights?
>
> There is a gnustep gna project already.  I'm sure Alex Perez (who has it
> registered) wouldn't mind setting you up as administrator and some other
> people that could give out the commit access although we'll have to ask
> him.
>
> Alex set the gnustep project up on gna due to Savannah not being able to
> set up a -ui and -packagers mailing list when they were needed some time
> ago.
>
> > How will we verify that the transfer was correct?
>
> I'm not sure what the best approach would be here.  Subversion has
> repository-wide revision numbers, so it is difficult to check that
> (although the original CVS revision number will be stored in the
> metadata for the file).  I can run a couple diffs on various different
> dates through the history (including the latest) svn vs. cvs?

This would be easier to verify if we simply did a wholesale copy from one repo
to another.  Unless you're referring to *all* of the metadata (history, etc)
for each file.  That's somewhat more difficult. :)

> - Andy

GJC

Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A MD Corp.)
## Maintainer of Gorm (IB Equiv.) for GNUstep.