Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 22:17:08 +0200

Andrew Ruder schrieb:

>>>Maybe someone who is familiar with svn can give a basic OK to this
>>>layout.  Greg?
>>
>>I believe, that until we come up with a plan to modularize things further, we
>>should leave the directory layout as it is.   The way I see it we have two
>>choices:
>>
>>1) Take the CVS repository whole-cloth into the SVN repo and make any changes
>>incrementally from there.
>>2) Take the burden of a redesign/relayout now and put it into SVN in some new
>>layout.
>

> The relayout during the conversion is very simple.  I was only
> suggesting it because sometimes it is easier to follow the history when
> things have not been rearranged :)
>
> Plus, having a trunk/branches/tags per project would be much cleaner
> than having a single trunk/branches/tags for the entire project.  (i.e.
> if we have a single tags directory, we'll be making tags like
>
> /tags/gnustep-gui-1.0
>
> whereas if we lay it out properly, we'll just have
>
> /libs/gui/tags/1.0
>
> Likewise we wouldn't have every projects tags and branches cluttering up
> every other projects tags and branches hierarchy.  The cvs2svn utility
> also does a decent job of figuring out which tags and branches applied
> to which subprojects.  i.e.
>
> http://local.aeruder.net/websvn/listing.php?repname=gnustep&path=%2FGorm%2Ftags%2F&rev=0&sc=0
>
> shows only the tags made on GORM afaict.

Pretty cool!

IMHO, this already looks very promising and I think a restructuring
could also be quit nice.  But I don't have any good ideas about what the
structure should really look like, only unripe thoughts...
(should there be a distinction between:
 libs/frameworks - tendency: no
 tools/apps/servers - tendency: maybe
 dev/user - tendency: maybe not)

I do think it would be good time to distinguish the non-FSF copyright
assigned projects like extensions and gsantlr.  That could also be a
place where I could put the GPL'ed MySQL Adaptor for GDL2.

Anyway I'm looking forward to a transition to subversion and since the
FSF doesn't have any reservations about the source being hosted at
gna.org, I withdraw mine.

Cheers,