Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration

From: Andrew Ruder
Subject: Re: Proposal: Subversion Migration
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 15:40:19 -0500

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 10:17:08PM +0200, David Ayers wrote:
>  libs/frameworks - tendency: no
>  tools/apps/servers - tendency: maybe
>  dev/user - tendency: maybe not)
nah, I think we will run into issues if we try to subdivide too much and
make it only harder to do a checkout.  Organizational things like that
can also be partially accomplished by having modules in a /modules
directory that when checked out would checkout all the other locations
automatically.  For example, I can make a /modules/dev-apps that
basically says:

Check out /apps/gorm/trunk into the gorm directory
Check out /apps/easydiff/trunk into the easydiff directory

and so on.  When you do an svn update, or a commit or anything, it will
commit to the actual location in the repository.  svn:externals are a
powerful thing when used in this regard...

> I do think it would be good time to distinguish the non-FSF copyright
> assigned projects like extensions and gsantlr.  That could also be a
> place where I could put the GPL'ed MySQL Adaptor for GDL2.

Interesting, I did not realize that non-fsf-copyright-assigned projects
existed in the GNUstep CVS.  Perhaps to save the confusion we should set
up another project for the nonfsf stuff.  The modules I refer to above
can reference external svn repository locations every bit as easily, so
we could still make dev-libs pull in from the non-fsf place.  But when
setting up commit access we'd have the advantage that anyone getting the
fsf gnustep commit access would need to have signed the forms, etc.. to
assign copyright on code placed in that repository.

Having such a project may also be an excellent place for people to host
non-fsf-copyright-assigned projects directly related to gnustep.

Thoughts?

- Andy

--
Andrew Ruder