Re: GNUstep moving forward

From: Sašo Kiselkov
Subject: Re: GNUstep moving forward
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 11:08:02 +0200

Quoting Gregory John Casamento <address@hidden>:

> Although we have Gorm and ProjectCenter, I believe we do need more to make
> GNUstep attractive to devs.   Some debugging (think MallocDebug) tools and
> other things might be nice in this regard.
>
> Also, a fully working ProjectCenter would be good as well.

Currently I'm working 100% on
http://student.fiit.stuba.sk/~kiselkov04/ProjectManager - an new IDE completely
from scratch. It currently still lacks many features, but what is done:

 - bundle extensible project type

 - allows for arbitrary file layout (through grouping files in abstract
`categories' (sort-of like directories, but not really on disk))

 - build error interpretation - errors are grouped in a table, double click on a
row and the error file opens, highlighting the error line.

 - fully functional code editor (except for colouring... but I'm working on it)
   + line/character indication and "Go To Line..."
   + autoindentation
   + customizable external command output piping
   + customizable tab to space conversion

Comments are welcome, though please still consider the code practically a
tech-demo, I would not have released it for another two weeks (currently
working on it about two weeks already) if this discussion would not have come
up.

As to the other developer tools:

 - after I finish ProjectManager at least to some degree (or somebody takes over
for me, since a day only has 24 hours...) I'm back off to GNUstep Core Data
(http://gscoredata.nongnu.org) and over there is an app called DataBuilder
which allows users to easily assemble data models for use with GSCoredata.

 - if there's interrest in an app like ObjectAlloc (a real-time object
allocation monitor) I can assemble it in a day or two. I already did it some
years ago (though never got to releasing it...), but the idea is still in my
head, so it should be a matter of a couple of moments.

Regards
--
Saso