Re: Why Unanimous Consent Doesn't Work (Was: Re: why do we need change?)

From: Andrew Ruder
Subject: Re: Why Unanimous Consent Doesn't Work (Was: Re: why do we need change?)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 22:58:54 -0500

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 04:33:37AM +0100, Nicola Pero wrote:
> I'm sure a great flame-fest will follow, please excuse me if I'll drop out
> of this thread at this point. ;-)

Actually, this is exactly the problem.  This is how proposing something
on the GNUstep lists works:

1. Email the list.
2. Get some decent replies, including some sensible ones from core
   developers and the like.
3. Crap ensues.  Cover your head, it is coming down fast now!
4. Anybody with any say over the original proposal stops reading because
   the entire thread has become a flaming pile of poo. (And not that I
   necessarily blame them)
5. The end.

See the problem?  Anytime something becomes controversial, there is no
final say.  Alex is merely saying that all it would take is a leader to
take a Linux-Torvalds-Dictator-Like-Approach and say either:

  That's a dumb idea, it isn't going to fly. <end of discussion>

or:

  Quit your whining, this has some merits, I have questions about this
  and this.  <discussion moves towards an end>

Maybe nothing needs to be quite this extreme, but right now GNUstep is
not majority rule, it is minority rule.  You get a few people to raise a
stink about anything that might benefit GNUstep and the thread gets
ignored for eternity by anybody that matters.

Ah, and I see this thread is already moving towards the flaming pit of
no return...

Cheers,
Andy

--