Re: The goal of GNUstep 1.0 (Why Unanimous Consent Doesn't Work)

From: Fabien VALLON
Subject: Re: The goal of GNUstep 1.0 (Why Unanimous Consent Doesn't Work)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:55:22 +0200 (CEST)

On Mer 26 octobre 2005 15:29, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
> On 2005-10-26 12:13:41 +0100 Dennis Leeuw <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Here my question is also, is Windows a 1.0 goal or should it be
>> post-1.0?
>
> I don't think so ... my feeling is that it would be a lot of work to get
> the level of polish needed for a 1.0 release ... so unless we are setting
> this 1.0 release target quite a long time away, I think it's impractical
> include windows as part of the 1.0 gui release.
>
> I suggested three targets as general medium term project aims (a general
> roadmap if you like), in the order that's my best guess as to priority for
> the purposes of popularising GNUstep.  I think we should concentrate on
> the
> first, but keep the others in mind.
>
> So, to get back to the 1.0 release idea ...
> Highest priority ... fixing bugs that annoy people when they are using the
> gui (I'm sure other people use different apps and have different
> annoyances)
> ... I view that as essential for a release ... but it doesn't mean we
> shouldn't be improving documentation and testsuite and adding things like
> Camaeleon too.

I agree.

For the 1.0 release, what do you think about an
"OpenStep-compliant release" ?

- This is the first goal of GNUstep.
- There is already some bugs to fix for "OpenStep-compliants" classes.
- There is already documentation for "OpenStep-compliants" classes.

I think developpers can only target on it for the 1.0.

1.2 could be Windows / OpenStep + bug fix

About Cocoa ( the Cocoa in MacOS 10.1 for example ) could be a 2.0 target.
Can we create a GNUstepAppleExtentions in a separate framework for it ?

Fabien