Re: The goal of GNUstep 1.0 (Why Unanimous Consent Doesn't Work)

From: Peter Cooper
Subject: Re: The goal of GNUstep 1.0 (Why Unanimous Consent Doesn't Work)
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 01:41:44 +1000

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 04:55:22PM +0200, Fabien VALLON wrote:
> On Mer 26 octobre 2005 15:29, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
> >
> > So, to get back to the 1.0 release idea ...
> > Highest priority ... fixing bugs that annoy people when they are using the
> > gui (I'm sure other people use different apps and have different
> > annoyances)
> > ... I view that as essential for a release ... but it doesn't mean we
> > shouldn't be improving documentation and testsuite and adding things like
> > Camaeleon too.
>

> I agree.
>
> For the 1.0 release, what do you think about an
> "OpenStep-compliant release" ?
>
> - This is the first goal of GNUstep.
> - There is already some bugs to fix for "OpenStep-compliants" classes.
> - There is already documentation for "OpenStep-compliants" classes.
>
> I think developpers can only target on it for the 1.0.
>
> 1.2 could be Windows / OpenStep + bug fix
>
> About Cocoa ( the Cocoa in MacOS 10.1 for example ) could be a 2.0 target.
> Can we create a GNUstepAppleExtentions in a separate framework for it ?

Version 1.0 doesn't have to be perfect for each platform, just for one
(at least ;-)

In terms of features - I think the GNUstep community can now stand on it's
own when deciding what's in and out of a 1.0. Some features we'd all
really like may just get deferred. That's ok. My favourite platform
might not make the cut as a "featured platform", that's ok too, as long
as we have good release notes describing the open issues.

You might market 1.0 as being QA'd on several variants of Linux, FreeBSD
and NetBSD (with per-platform native binaries/installers, setup documentation,
release notes, LiveCDs etc). Cooperation with distributions and software
packagers needs to be fairly tight.

Other platforms might be marked as "preview release" but also have the
per-platform native binaries, setup documentation etc, or not, depending
on resources and stability.

As the date for the release draws closer, and expected features completed
or deferred, the serious bugs-list squashed we need to be ready to
really polish a couple of platforms and at least one LiveCD.

Non-developers will be especially necessary for these activities:
testing documentation, configuration, tweaking for look and feel.

A lot of this stuff could be usefully coordinated by a release team or
release manager, and it's a great way of getting the broader GNUstep
community involved.

Regards

Peter