Re: The goal of GNUstep 1.0 (Why Unanimous Consent Doesn't Work)

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: The goal of GNUstep 1.0 (Why Unanimous Consent Doesn't Work)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 17:00:54 +0100

On 10/26/05, Adam Fedor <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...]

I agree; OpenStep-compliance shouldn't be anymore the definitive goal anyway..
By that I mean that if there are some obscure deprecated methods that
we don't have yet, I'm not sure it's worth implementing them/delay a
1.0 just to claim "hey we're _fully_ OpenStep compliant !" -- it's not
like many people care about that (they care about OSX compatibility if
anything else).

Same way, I don't think it's a good idea to orientate the 1.0 as
"Finally OpenStep-compliant", because as you say, the epidermic
reaction will be "yeah, good job guys, only 11 years to do it !". It
would be more interesting to say something along the line of "we're
OpenStep compliant, we have our own additions, plus we are x%
compatible with Panther/Tiger ...", etc.

--
Nicolas Roard
  -Arthur C. Clarke