Re: GNUstep ROADMAP

From: Jiva DeVoe
Subject: Re: GNUstep ROADMAP
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 17:34:20 -0500

On Nov 26, 2005, at 11:23 AM, Adrian Robert wrote:

GNUstep  1.1

Integrate camaelon into gui ... I think this should be in 1.0 as a

matter of practicality ... as far as I can see, this is an easily

achievable target, so why not do it soon.

I really think this needs to go into 1.0.  Judging by the amount of discussion themes ALWAYS get whenever there is ANY external publicity about GNUstep, I think initial reception will be far better if we can just say, "download and switch on this theme" instead of "someday we'll have Camealon in GNUstep".  Let's not be impatient for the 1.0 release and then have lots of people dismissing it with "great, but too 80's for me"..

Integration of WildMenus ... I haven't looked at this, so i don't

know, but seems reasonable.

This on the other hand, we rarely hear about on the lists, so I think it's a much lower priority than Camaelon.

I'm new here, and obviously, much genuflection to everyone involved... but I just wanted to say from an outsider's standpoint, camaelon IMO is an absolute requirement to have in 1.0.  I'm sure there's lots of arguments on why not to do it, but from an outsider standpoint, it's a must-have.

WRT WildMenus - WildMenus is useful if one is coming from a Mac, and wants Mac style menus... I'd argue that alone makes it worthwhile - but the thing that would make it really killer would be if it could also attach the menus to whatever main window there is currently (ala Windows etc) to make GNUstep apps not look like the "odd man out" when mixing on other window managers/desktops.  I know this is not a trivial task.  WildMenus - though cool, and I obviously use it myself, I think is not vital for a 1.0.  1.1 sure... when it gets a nice overhaul with a clock and little status applets like the mac menu, or if it gets the ability to do windows-like menus... (:: sounds of screams from GNUstep purists ::)

--

Jiva DeVoe

http://www.devoesquared.com

PowerCard - Intuitive Project Management for Mac OS X