Re: [Gnustep-cvs] gnustep/core/back ChangeLog Source/art/ARTConte...

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] gnustep/core/back ChangeLog Source/art/ARTConte...
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 00:17:13 +0100

Adam Fedor wrote:
> CVSROOT:      /cvsroot/gnustep
> Module name:  gnustep
> Branch:
> Changes by:   Adam Fedor <address@hidden>     05/12/20 20:36:59
>
> Modified files:
>       core/back      : ChangeLog
>       core/back/Source/art: ARTContext.m
>       core/back/Source/x11: XGServer.m
>       core/back/Source/xdps: NSDPSContext.m
>
> Log message:
>       * Source/art/ARTContext.m ([ARTContext -beep]): Respect user setting
>       of bell volume.
>       * Source/x11/XGServe.m: Idem.

Hi Adam,

I am surprised that you had to change all these places. Judging from the
code in NSGraphicsContext.m,

/** Play the System Beep */
- (void) NSBeep
{
  [GSCurrentServer() beep];
}

I would expect that it is the obligation of the display server, not the
display context to handle the beep. From this reasoning I would call the
art method totally obsolete, as it will never be called and the one in
NSDPSContext a duplicate, as it copies code from the super class
implementation (although optimised).

Looks to me like this is one of the places in GNUstep, where the origin
of the code goes too far back to be easily touched any more. Even by
you, who probably wrote most of it :-)

Cheers