Re: Gorm/Nib compability progress

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Gorm/Nib compability progress
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 14:43:38 +0100

Hi Greg,

I am deeply impressed on what you achieved here. You extended the key
coder to support object swapping, added a lot of keyed coding to the gui
classes and put in all the glue code to load NIB directories not just
the key-coded files. On top of that you even rewrote the NIB loading
code to support future extensions. Actually, I already see one here:
Nikolaus Schaller (hns) has his own NIB format for myStep called MIB.

Now I am looking forward to see all this show up in the standard GNUstep
CVS branch.

I just have to add one word of caution. Before we ever change Gorm to
use an XML based format, we should make sure, we have an XML parser for
all environments. Our current one will only work if libXML is present,
which seems to be a problem on Windows. Again in myStep there could be a
solution to this, as hns wrote a simple XML parser for his MIB files. I
hope we are able to integrate this, as soon as the copyright assignment
is sorted out.

Cheers