Re: Deprecation of CYGWIN support

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Deprecation of CYGWIN support
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 06:16:25 +0000

On 17 Jan 2006, at 06:01, Gregory John Casamento wrote:

All,

Given that there have been great strides in supporting GNUstep under MinGW, I believe it to be redundant to continue to support CYGWIN since it's not currently being maintained and since MinGW does everything needed to get GNUstep working properly under Windows.

For this reason, I believe that support for GNUstep under CYGWIN should be deprecated and eventually removed.

Are there any comments or objections regarding this?

Well, I think it's fair to say we don''t really support it ... and I guess we should make that clear on the website.

However, I don't think that means we should should intentionally break anything (ie remove cygwin specific stuff mfrom the codebase) ... and if someone is willing to do the work to make/keep it usable (ie suport it informally) we should accept their changes. Actually, since cygwin is supposed to emulate unix, I think gnustep should treat cygwin as a unix variant .. so maybe little/no special support is necessary.