Re: Deprecation of CYGWIN support

From: Riccardo
Subject: Re: Deprecation of CYGWIN support
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 20:38:23 +0100

Hello,

On Tuesday, January 17, 2006, at 07:01 AM, Gregory John Casamento wrote:

Given that there have been great strides in supporting GNUstep under MinGW, I believe it to be redundant to continue to support CYGWIN since it's not currently being maintained and since MinGW does everything needed to get GNUstep working properly under Windows.

For this reason, I believe that support for GNUstep under CYGWIN should be deprecated and eventually removed.

Are there any comments or objections regarding this?

Although I know the advantages of MinGW and the fact that we have manpowertrouble I think it is not very smart. Cygwin is often more widespread and also offers better compatibility. I can't compile FTP.app on MinGW, while it would most probably work on Cygwin since it has "real" sockets, the same goes for another couple of application I tried under windows which depend on a more unixy environment.

I know that most of these applications could be fixed with a certain effort, perhaps small, but this options commetns by itself and it is the reason why cygwin is often preferred to mingw.

-R