Re: Subversion import #2

From: Andy Ruder
Subject: Re: Subversion import #2
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 18:35:17 -0600

On 1/30/06, Quentin Mathé <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...] should probably be broken in several sections too. Feel free to reuse
> it if you want to add more documentation on GNUstep wiki.
> Here is the link <http://www.dromasoftware.com/etoile/mediawiki/
> index.php?title=Source_Repository>

Thanks I will take a look.  I would especially like to look at setting
up some sort of guide
to using svk if you so choose.  I've been using svk quite a bit lately
and have found
it very useful in many situations.

> Why not. But I'm not sure to understand, is it still possible to
> checkout only 'core' (make, base, gui, back) in one pass ? With
> devmodules/core right ?

Yes, if you look at /devmodules it basically has 5 empty directories
in it (core, dev-apps, dev-libs, usr-apps, tests).  So what you can do
is set a property on these directories called "svn:externals" that
tells the svn client to checkout some other repository into a
subdirectory when it is checked out.

For example, if I type

svn propget svn:externals svn+ssh://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/devmodules/core

I see:

gui     svn+ssh://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/libs/gui/trunk
back    svn+ssh://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/libs/back/trunk
base    svn+ssh://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/libs/base/trunk
make    svn+ssh://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/tools/make/trunk

The first field is the subdirectory to checkout into, and the second
field is the SVN url.

So, when you checkout this directory, it'll checkout the stuff in
core/ then it'll checkout
svn+ssh://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/libs/gui/trunk into core/gui and so
on.  /devmodules
has what I figured would be the "standard" sets of libraries, apps,
etc, but if every
developer had his own private place in the repository
/developer/<name>, I could do
something like:

svn mkdir svn+ssh://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/developer/aeruder/checkout
svn co svn+ssh://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/developer/aeruder/checkout
svn propedit checkout
(Add lines similar to above to checkout gui/trunk, base/trunk,
back/trunk, make/trunk,
and gorm/branches/NibCompatibility into subdirectories)
svn commit -m "adding externals" checkout

And then, everytime I do a fresh checkout on that directory I just
created, I would have
an environment tailored to what I generally want svn of including
whichever branches, tags, etc. that I want to work from.  Heck, I
could even add a file into my checkout/ directory
to do a full compile of everything (including gorm) tailored to my
system... things like this
make a /developer/<name> hierarchy advantageous (imo).  Not to mention
the benefits derived from just having your own private sandbox to play
around in (testing branches and merging changes into them or what
not).

- Andy