Re: System & System Extension color lists

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: System & System Extension color lists
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 09:56:40 +0000

On 7 Feb 2006, at 04:25, Sheldon Gill wrote:

Unification of the System color list
====================================

To support better theming and user configurability generally it is desirable for users to be able to specify the use of colors.

Currently this is done through the System color list, which is created at initialisation through hardcode values or by loading a user created list.

GSToolbar uses a "System extension" to add it's two color values.

Is there any reason why we can't unite these additions into the System color list?

I'm certain this has come up before ... but I can't find the thread on the web or in my personal email (but a big chunk of my email got lost when my machine died in november).

Anyway ... I think the 'Systyem extension' list is wrong ... if we have to add new colors we should add them to the system list so they are all in one place. BUT ... I recall querying whether GSToolbar should be adding two new colors at all ... on the theory that things should be kept simple and existing system colors should be used where possible. What I can't remember is who brought the subject up and what their answer to that query was (or even if they had an answer).

So ...
1. if there is no good reason for having toolbar specific colors ... we should scrap them and use system colors 2. if there *is* a good reason for having new colors, we should add them to the system color list I would be inclined to (1) as the simplest solution on the basis of what I know/remember at the moment.

Saving of the color list

At the moment, in NSColor.m -> initSystemColors()

If there is no previously saved System color list, it will automatically write one out.

I'd like to change this. That is:
if there is no previously saved list, we don't simply write a default one
  out but rather rely on the initialiser every time.

Sounds good to me.