Env variables (was Re: Build Process using MingW32)

From: Derek Zhou
Subject: Env variables (was Re: Build Process using MingW32)
Date: 07 Feb 2006 16:27:44 -0800

I am a little puzzled about the the relationship between
'GNUstep.conf' and the GNUSTEP_* env variables. I think the goal is to
be able to run apps without setting any special env variables; also
being able to changes default stuff with the env varibles. However,
the current 1.11.2 gnustep does not honor env varibles by default, and
insists on the hardcoded "/etc/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf" even being
configured to use a different path. I don't think this is right. At
least, config.h for base should point GNUSTEP_CONFIG_FILE to the path
specified at config time.

Also, it used to be that one only need to do a "./configure
--prefix=$HOME" to make a local gnustep (just like any other gnu
software) Now I have to do something like: "./configure --prefix=$HOME
--enable-environment-config-file
--with-config-file=$HOME/etc/GNUstep.conf"

Derek