Re: libgnustep-base split proposal

From: Jeremy Cowgar
Subject: Re: libgnustep-base split proposal
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 11:24:39 -0500

On Feb 19, 2006, at 2:35 AM, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

On 19 Feb 2006, at 05:27, Andrew Ruder wrote:

Hello all,

Objective-C is an incredible programming language, but right now the
most crippling factor for its widespread use is the lack of a "standard library." Right now there are two prevalent options to utilizing Obj-C in your program: GNUstep and OS X. Obviously the biggest problem with
OS X is that it is not free.  GNUstep, however, brings along a whole
lot of other problems: crazy GNUstep/ directory structure, daemons,
config files, etc.. etc.. A typical developer not familiar with GNUstep
sees these things and runs the other direction.

Is there actually real evidence of the above? If so I think we need to
spend some time on publicity/education to let people know that the
problems are almost entirely imaginary.  Perhaps an introduction
telling people how things can be used with no setup at all, and
removal of a few warnings about missing setup.

Me. I wrote an app that was a FastCGI web based app, wanted to write it in Obj C, have no use for ~/GNUstep, etc... It posed problems making it work in the forked, no env var, environment of Apache.

I have another utility that was very easy and a pleasure to develop in Obj C that is nothing more than a command line utility that takes an EDI file (X12 837), parses, the compares the claim numbers to those in another file, and writes the new file out. It splits large files into smaller ones, updating cross-ref checks, numerical checks, counts, etc... That has no use either for ~/GNUstep/ and it poses problems for me saying, Here Luke, run this on your box to split the file.

Jeremy