Re: libgnustep-base split proposal

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: libgnustep-base split proposal
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 01:04:50 +0100

On 22. Feb 2006, at 19:29 Uhr, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
I boggled when I read that ... then realised that my initial incomprehension was due to 20+ years experience programming on unix style systems ... it simply didn't occur to me that copying the library from one directory to another would be an issue for a developer (for a user, yes). GNUstep is by no means alone in putting its libraries in its own directories ... many packages (ssh, postgres etc) use their own subdirectories.

Well, there is a reason that FHS was invented and that Debian is so popular. The OGo installation targets system adminstrators and they expect to find stuff in known/consistent places (they even wonder why there is nothing in /var/php/ ;-).

And really, there is no good reason not to do it the standard way (on the Linux platform).

I really don't know how to address that as a problem. Of course we could provide a script to copy the library ... but then people would need to know about the script.

Honestly I can't see a reason why libgstep-base and associated resources should be installed into any other place but /usr/local or / usr as per FHS. This should be the default location. Even if GNUstep.sh is being used (which would be searched first when its sourced).

The GNUstep hierarchy is IMO appropriate for
a) ultra power users wanting the full flexibility of self contained
   environments (we do this occasionally, but less all the time due to
   the invention of Linux VServer)
b) user-level desktop applications (I agree that a GNUmail.app should live
   in some /Applications directory, not in ~/bin ...)

Greets,
  Helge
--
http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/helge/