Re: SystemPreferences

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: SystemPreferences
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 14:35:46 +0100

Am Samstag, 25.02.06 um 11:47 Uhr schrieb Dennis Leeuw:

I am not so much in favour of an ApplicationSupport directory. I do not understand it from a design point of view.

This way you can separately store data that is generated by the application but neither a preferences file nor some data that the application is intended to produce.

Examples:

cache file, cookie file, profile of a web browser; index files of a mail application; color swatches, custom brushes of an image processing application;

If you want a design where a folder is the application you should put as much as possible within that folder. Not starting to re-invent the /usr/share directory... more below :)

All that stuff doesn't belong into the application bundle itself since I consider it user specific/private data that should not be moved around if the application itself is copied into another place, used by another user or the like. So it belongs to /Users/username/Library/Application Support

regards, Lars

Happy FOSDEMing to all who are there, btw. I'll be back next year.