Re: SystemPreferences

From: Cody Brimhall
Subject: Re: SystemPreferences
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 14:36:04 -0800

On 2/25/06, Dennis Leeuw <address@hidden > wrote:
Chris Vetter wrote:
> On 2006-02-24 11:07:47 +0100 Dennis Leeuw < address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris,
>> Would this also mean the we need a /System/Library/Inspectors
>> /System/Library/Finder /System/Library/TextConverters
>> /System/Library/GSPrinting just no name a view others that are falling
>> in the same category. Or am I somehow missing the point here?
>

> I don't know ;-)
> As I said, this was just a thought, and *I* could probably be mistaken.
>
> The way I see it is that Bundles are part of an application, that could
> possibly be used by other applications as well. For example, think of a
> web browser that has a generic history manager in a bundle. An FTP
> client could re-use said bundle for it's download history. (Stupid
> example, but you get the idea).

Actually it explains what might be a generic Bundle and thus belongs to
the domain System/Library/Bundles...

> OTOH, a preference pane of SystemPreferences is different, IMPOV. Sure,
> it is implemented as a bundle, but its only purpose is to provide a
> "service" in/to SystemPreferences and no other application _should_ use
> it (of course they could, but I do not see a point in doing so).

Where as this does not. It should be part of
SystemPreferences/Resources/.../Bundles
(where .../ is whatever is decided on to be the path to the "internal"
Bundles dir (currently I think it is Resources/Library/Bundles... I
can't check 'cause I am installing from scratch)

> So, the only reason for storing preference panes NOT in .../Bundles/ is
> to distinguish between a 'real' bundle and a pref-pane. IMHO, this would
> make the Library directory look a bit 'cleaner.'

I agree with you on the cleaner part. Just not sure where the panels
should end up.

> Question to the OSX users -- how/where does OSX store pref panes? Maybe
> we could/should just mimick their setup.

Yeah... let's hear it boys and girls. How does our big brother solved
this issue? ;)

Well, as of 10.4, Steve puts preference panes in /System/Library/PreferencePanes. In general, the Library directories on OS X are divided up according to function rather than file types.  There is no "Bundles" directory at all.

-Cody