Re: libgnustep-base split proposal

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: libgnustep-base split proposal
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 18:12:10 -0800

Helge Hess wrote:
Honestly I can't see a reason why libgstep-base and associated resources should be installed into any other place but /usr/local or /usr as per FHS. This should be the default location. Even if GNUstep.sh is being used (which would be searched first when its sourced).

Hear, Hear! This should be the default location. The other gnustep junk can still live in /usr/gnustep or wherever else, but the libs should be in *STANDARD FHS LOCATIONS*.

The GNUstep hierarchy is IMO appropriate for
a) ultra power users wanting the full flexibility of self contained
   environments (we do this occasionally, but less all the time due to
   the invention of Linux VServer)
b) user-level desktop applications (I agree that a GNUmail.app should live
   in some /Applications directory, not in ~/bin ...)

Indeed, this approach seems the best compromise between FHS adherence, and is completely sane. Thanks for saying this, Helge!

Greets,
  Helge
--http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/helge/
OpenGroupware.org