Re: libgnustep-base split proposal

From: Sheldon Gill
Subject: Re: libgnustep-base split proposal
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 08:35:44 +0800

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
On 25 Feb 2006, at 04:37, Sheldon Gill wrote:
Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
On 23 Feb 2006, at 01:04, Gregory John Casamento wrote:

[snip]

So, only four categories rather than six ... even so, I think NSWarnLog() is hardly ever used ... I think it's really, really hard to assign some messages to particular categories ... for anything which is not a fatal error and is not clearly for debugging purposes, it's horribly different to classify, because what is appropriate usually depends on the audiance/user and what they are trying to do with the library.

I think its actually much easier to classify than you thing. The audience to consider is "run-of-the-mill" user running a packaged installation. After all, this is the target audience in the end for just about everyone.

In my experience, most such end users only want logs containing bad things they really need to know about. Less, rather than more.

Power users and developers have the savvy to up their logging level. They can also be presumed to understand more detail/technical info.

However, an audit would be good ... I suspect a number of NSLog() calls should be NSWarnLog() or even NSDebugLog()

Basically what I'm getting at. Problem is, at the moment there isn't any rule or guideline about how to classify such messages.

The problem we have with NSWarnLog() is that it is being used for information level messages rather than warning/alert level messages. It should be more like GSInfoLog() to be clear. I'd expect most packaged installs to have such messages off.

In my view there are lots of messages which need to be sorted. I would rather change them after we have some general agreement on categorisation.

What I was referring to in an earlier email is the idea that in some circumstances (a normal install) missing resource files are a real oddity and mean that the program won't behave as expected ... which may well constitute a failure, but in other circumstances (deliberately installed without resources as a standalone library) you could assume that the lack of locatable resources was intentional, so any program using the library presumably expects the changed behavior and it is not a failure. Thinking more about it, this is probably not a good idea to infer from library location.

Great. With you on that.

Regards,
Sheldon