Re: libgnustep-base split proposal

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: libgnustep-base split proposal
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 13:13:40 +0000

On 28 Feb 2006, at 00:35, Sheldon Gill wrote:

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
On 25 Feb 2006, at 04:37, Sheldon Gill wrote:
Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
On 23 Feb 2006, at 01:04, Gregory John Casamento wrote:

[snip]
So, only four categories rather than six ... even so, I think NSWarnLog() is hardly ever used ... I think it's really, really hard to assign some messages to particular categories ... for anything which is not a fatal error and is not clearly for debugging purposes, it's horribly different to classify, because what is appropriate usually depends on the audiance/user and what they are trying to do with the library.

I think its actually much easier to classify than you thing. The audience to consider is "run-of-the-mill" user running a packaged installation. After all, this is the target audience in the end for just about everyone.

Fair enough ... but if it were all that easy, there would be nothing to do because we would have classified everything correctly first time :-)

Basically what I'm getting at. Problem is, at the moment there isn't any rule or guideline about how to classify such messages.

Certainly there is ... see NSDebug.h ... it attempts to give guidance about using NSWarnLog and NSDebugLog. Of course the mere fact that there are rules/guidelines does not mean that they are perfect ... clarification of documentation is always welcome. Perhaps it should also mention NSException as a fatal error and NSLog () for somethng non-fatal, though that seems to be reasonably implicit.

The problem we have with NSWarnLog() is that it is being used for information level messages rather than warning/alert level messages. It should be more like GSInfoLog() to be clear. I'd expect most packaged installs to have such messages off.

Well, that's more or less what it's for and how it behaves and how it's documented ... 'something which is not necessarily fatal or illegal, but looks like it might be a programming error'. It's a warning, not an error log.
How would you go about clarifying the documentation?