GNUstep win32 release policy

From: Alex Perez
Subject: GNUstep win32 release policy
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 20:28:04 -0800

Jeremy Bettis wrote:
Alex Perez wrote:
Shouldn't we make it a formal policy to test under mingw before making any RELEASE? Is there a checklist everyone much follow before making a release? It should probably be on the wiki, perhaps locked/in review-submit-only mode so it can only be edited by the respective package maintainers.

What do you think of this suggestion?
You can't have every platform tested for every release. Even for GCC, windows is on the non-critical list. I am a heavy Mingw user (the only heavy mingw user of gnustep?) and I don't care if Mingw is tested before every release. Frankly the idea of someone who never normally uses windows dual booting over to windows once every 3 months to test under mingw before calling the version RELEASE, doesn't really boost my confidence any.

That's not really the point. I think both RFM and Adam, and Gregory can dual-boot, and if a given release doesn't work under win32, that's FINE, as long as it's known/stated (and not buried in a release file somewhere, on the website download page where people will actually see it) It's not hard or too cumbersome to compile -base and -gui under win32, and perhaps run the test apps/unit tests on that platform before we release. If we don't do this, the win32 side of things will NEVER get any better, since people won't easily be able to contribute code/test GNUstep under win32.