Re: Cairo as common graphics context

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Cairo as common graphics context
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 09:22:31 -0700

On 2006-03-15 07:53:12 -0700 Stefan Urbanek <address@hidden> wrote:

 From naive point of view the steps necessary would be:
1. create API for picking graphics context with prefered destination
2. pick ONE graphics library as preffered graphics context library and move it's
use (or use of a bundle) into GUI
3. update GUI to use graphics context provided by the graphics library

I'm sure you can do that. But then you are requiring more dependancies (particulaly in the GUI, which is not where we want it). Since both cairo and art can draw into a bitmap, it would probably be better just to define an interface between the GUI and back to allow that, then the particular backend would be responsible for doing the work.

Looks like all necessary code is already in GNUstep, it is just a matter of
"rewiring" it. But well ... I do not see much into the internals...

Oh yes, actually doing the work - well that's the hard part :-)