Re: Cairo as common graphics context

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Cairo as common graphics context
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:25:14 +0000

On 16 Mar 2006, at 08:37, Stefan Urbanek wrote:

Adam,

On 2006-03-15 07:53:12 -0700 Stefan Urbanek <address@hidden>
wrote:

 From naive point of view the steps necessary would be:
1. create API for picking graphics context with prefered destination
2. pick ONE graphics library as preffered graphics context library
and move
it's
use (or use of a bundle) into GUI
3. update GUI to use graphics context provided by the graphics library

I'm sure you can do that. But then you are requiring more dependancies
(particulaly in the GUI, which is not where we want it). Since both
cairo and art can draw into a bitmap, it would probably be better just
to define an interface between the GUI and back to allow that, then
the particular backend would be responsible for doing the work.

No, I can't. See below.

Looks like all necessary code is already in GNUstep, it is just a
matter of
"rewiring" it. But well ... I do not see much into the internals...

Oh yes, actually doing the work - well that's the hard part :-)

Excuse me, but I take this from you as a little offence with the
meaning:"do not talk, just code". Following text is not going to be
only about the issue, but about general attitude on this list. This
attitude is repeating on this list again and again...

It appears to me that you are reading into Adam's comments a lot that isn't there. Certainly I didn't take from it anything like the same thing that you did.

His use of 'you' looks like the colloquial usage equivalent to the old fashioned use of 'one' as a pronoun, and probably didn't mean/ imply anything about your personal programming skills, but even if it did, that would just seem to say that he assumed you were a programmer ... which is not unreasonable on a developer mailing list. In fact it just looks like a simple response to a technical enquiry in which he suggests a possibly better way of achieving the desired result.

As for the 'well that's the hard part' (with smiley) ... I read that as saying that 'just' rewiring could well be a misleading description of the work involved, and an implicit invitation for you to volunteer to do it.

All in all, utterly appropriate to a developers mailing list.
It doesn't in any way imply that contributions/inputs are not appreciated... you just need to bear in mind the context of the list you are using.

p.p.s.:Moreover, this year I have not seen any relevant answer to
project-crucial questions I have posted to the list. The only response
was from Alex Perez, who just broght the questions to the light again.

I don't recall seeing any others this year ... apart perhaps from your 'GNUstep Cocoa compatibility' posting ... which I didn't immediately reply to because I didn't (don't) really understand the diagram.